Work Life (Summer edition)

So today I couldn't help notice how empty the area is around my desk. Last week, I was explaining to my jie jie how teacher offices in Japan work as I ninja google hang out'd and practiced laugh coughing to divert suspicions of being a weirdo. As I told her that the principal and vice-principal sit in the front and then groups of desks work their way from the year taught and seniority backwards. I compared it to a hierarchy, to which she replied something to the effect of "oh so you're a peasant." I couldn't help but almost laugh out loud and unveil my craziness. And so as I looked around today, I did the inward sigh head droop as I realized that I'm in between the first and second year teachers, but there are hardly ever teachers in this section. I'm a peasant in limbo apparently. Resisting the urge to play the hamster version of "I'm so lonely" at my desk, I am otherwise quite intrigued by the way social interactions go down. It seems every aisle of desks provide as grounds for camaraderie, since all the teachers sit side by side and back to back. Cushy private offices are non-existent unless you're the principal. But it's funny how much privacy you still seem to get even with everyone having the ability to spy on you. I'm sure big brother is watching though.

>.< I really need to get a hang of Japanese. I have no clue what is happening during morning and group teacher meetings. :/ I don't even know where to start, though memrise has helped me learn hiragana.

So anyway, today's cleaning day, so earlier I helped with cleaning the sinks in the art room. Scrappers are really handy and it's surprising how far baking soda, water, and elbow-grease can go. The counters were a bit hopeless though. Oh well, the sinks are shiny!

Afterwards I introduced a few of the teachers to Tai Chi so that was fun :)

Oh one of the nice things about the office during the summer is that we are constantly receiving omiyage from teachers returning from vacation. I love finding a cookie or snack on my desk everyday and have been instagramming them whenever I get one :D

As a side note, last night at about 3am I experienced my first earthquake! I woke up and felt one shake, paused to brace myself for any more, but it was just the one, so after freaking out slightly, I promptly fell asleep again and proceeded to dream about an earthquake evacuation in which people just let their pets go where they may cuz they'd have a better chance of survival. I wonder if that's true. Haha who woulda thunk it...earthquakes in the middle of the night? I guess I'd better start getting an earthquake emergency kit together.

Recap: shaken awake literally, pretty flowers, paint removal, energy work, snacks, almost lunch time!

Dreams: earthquake, flooding, boats, animal release, A unknowingly moving to five points, $ tuna fish gifts...

P.S. School starts tomorrow! XD so nervous!
P.P.S. I'm totally kidding about the peasant thing :) Teachers are put in groups and move around/change desks at some point in the year :>




Comments

Popular Posts