On Hiking

 June 8, 2022


Over the weekend some friends and I set off to hike Mt. Otake (2927m), a volcanic mountain on the border of Nagano and Gifu.


I’m usually the slowest hiker and tend to do most things in life kinda slowly, a bit closer to how nature works I think. So during my stroll up the mountain, I was contemplating how hiking is kinda like life. Every step you take is like finding a stable foothold to take your next step. We all walk the path and perhaps hike different courses of life all the while trying to see how best to proceed. Some are faster than others and some are slower than others, but you often find meeting points and the true friends you meet along the way will always be there waiting for you and sometimes walk with you no matter their normal pace. It seems a rare thing to find the people that go at your similar pace, and yet there are those who might prefer the quiet space in nature. 


The birds with all their different calls are especially exciting to behold when you spot one perching in the trees. 


This was my first hike that had a bit of snow, but thankfully my more experienced friend made sure that I was prepared with spikes and a windbreaker. I noticed this time round how comfort on the trail makes a big difference with regards to the pace of your hiking speed. Hiking in the snow and literally following in the footsteps of others reminded me of how we need to depend on each other, and that those that came before us have helped pave the way to make the road easier for us whether they intended to or not. Having the right gear and mindset means that you have more options to choose from with how you proceed on the trail, and if you stop to consider your surroundings and which route to take, you might notice that there are actually easier paths around challenges that arise that you can completely avoid if you see that it’s an option. 


Recently I’ve been audiobooking a lot of different things and got my library to get the book on ikigai. I think that thinking on and exploring this will help be my compass as I proceed onward in life. On the path, I think I must be still in the forest or along the tree line where on occasion you can look back and spot a beautiful view peeking out from behind the trees. There is still much work to be done, but I’ve begun sowing the seeds and taking the steps little by little to travel the routes that have caught my attention. 


May we fare well as we travel the paths we choose to walk on this hike of life and hopefully have chances to meet along the way. 


bee hugs,

*mandy*


Latest reads:




Comments

Popular Posts