sadness

June 13, 2022

A few posts ago I talked about being sad. Recently I came across some words that confirmed that indeed the feeling is sadness and that sadness has a beautiful origin. I note this because it means that I’m not in despair, so that’s a small relief. Here’re the words from The Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows that’s helped me to feel better about this sadness that I’ve been carrying.


This part specifically helped me feel that sadness is not such a bad thing.

“If you are lucky enough to be sad, well, savor it while it lasts —  if only because it means that you care about something in this world enough to let it get under your skin.” 

For me emotion has been something that I have trouble feeling fully. I accidentally numbed it away with the stomach pain that I’ve struggled with from childhood, and that gives me some semblance of sadness because it means that I’m not experiencing the world fully. I think when I become aware of the feelings that exist inside me, I feel a little relieved that they are indeed there and that I didn’t erase them away unknowingly. 

Perhaps it’s a bit strange to be relieved that I can feel sadness, but as we breathe and live in our present moments, isn’t it wonderful that emotions paint the world with added dimension? I hope that I can continue maintaining this awareness. I think it will lead me to the places that I’m meant to be.

Comments

Popular Posts